≡ Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find some of the most frequently asked questions about our logistics and import export services. If you have any additional questions that are not covered here then please get in touch with us via phone or our contact form.

Q: What paperwork do I need in order to Export from the UK ?

A: This answer dependent where you are exporting to, in most cases shipping to EC countries, no paperwork is required. In deep sea destinations you would generally need a commercial invoice and a packing list for the goods. With UAE and other Arabic Countries as Certificate of origin will be required. Which type Arab/British or European Certificate are best determined by checking your customers requirements.

Q: Do Interspan carry personal effects ?

A: The general answer to this is no. We are a commercial carrier who deals mainly with goods manufactures and international freight forwarders. But with some destinations we can assist in moving personal effects, but this would be determined by how much, how the goods are packed and what exactly there is to move.

Q: Can I insure my goods ?

A: We have a policy in place Argosy Underwriting enabling us to insure General and Fragile Commercial cargo and professionally packed Household and Personal Effects cargo.

Q: Are there any regulations on how my shipment must be packed for export ?

A: Again this would generally depend on where the goods are to be ship to. Some countries insist on goods being palletised for export where other countries do not. If the shipment is bulky then is always recommended for cargo to be palletised for ease of loading via forklift truck. For smaller airfreight cargo the shipment is likely best kept loose to keep costs down for you. With regards to certain foreign laws for importing wood packing into countries, you can always visit a third party website www.ispm15.com which details country requirements for the wood packing and dunnage.

Q: Can I move hazardous cargo ?

A: If you have a DGSA advisor on site then the general consensus is yes. We can cater for certain hazardous cargo on the majority of our European services and Deep sea services. However the shipping of hazardous goods will always be subject to the hazardous class and UN for the hazard in question.

Q: What do I need to import goods and get them cleared in the UK ?

A: First of all as an importer you will need and EORI number (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) If you are VAT Registered then you normally have an EORI tied to your VAT number. If this is not the case then you should apply for the EORI number prior to goods arriving in the UK. The general paperwork for imports consists of a Bill of Lading, Commercial Invoice and a Packing list for the cargo. For some imports from India as an example a GSP certificate may be required.

Get in Touch or Ask a Question

Get a Quote!

Additionally please see our Frequently Asked Questions.